Angel's Blog EDCI 338

Hi, this is Angel Liu. Welcome to my site.

Blog Post-#4

1.How diverse is your existing PLN?

I think my PLN could be separated into main three parts: professional, communication and entertainment. Professional medias such as google search engine, Wikipedia, Brightspace, LinkedIn, and Indeed etc. are worked as learning tools for me to develop my professional skills and accept new knowledge. The social medias for communications such as Messengers, Instagram, WeChat etc. help me to chat and integrate with others to share thoughts and create different kinds of relationship webs. Finally, the medias for entertainment such as YouTube, Steam, WeGame etc. could build the connections between strangers and me, I could understand world-wide people’s thoughts and perspectives through relaxation. These three categories form my specific PLN and help me to participate in the world-web.

2.In your PLN, are you learning from a variety of voices or are you the loudest in the room?

I think in my PLN, I am learning from a variety of voices instead of I am the loudest in the room. I am willing to hear other people’s thoughts and glad to accept their advices. Every person would have his/her perspective of opinion. From their perspectives, I could receive new information and may sometimes get innovations. Also, I think there are many people better than me especially in my professional area because these people acquire more knowledge which I never heard before. For example, If I am studying in education professional area, I am the new beginner who do not have many experiences and methods to teach the students. If the educational expert could provide me with his/her experiences, and offer advices to me according to my weakness, I would feel really appreciate to accept his/her significant voices and try to implement these methods one by one. I think knowledge is infinite, someday I may become an experienced expert in my PLN. Maybe, at that time I could become one of the loudest voice in the room.

3.Do you participate in a silo of information sharing (similar themes or wide-range of interests)?

I think I do not participate in a silo of information sharing. The silo of information sharing always occur in the situation that the organization restricts its employees to share information with other departments or institution. I am not currently in work statues, so there is no trade secret or contract that I must keep it private from others. At present, my only responsibility of work is to be a eligible university student. My choice of professional setting never restrict us to share knowledge or information that relate to our program. Also, as the courses in uvic are fair and open to every students to choose, there are no restrictions to any information sharing between students when talking about any courses. Personally, I prefer to participate in wide-range of interests because I may find my new interests through communicating with others. Therefore, I think I am not participate in a silo of information sharing currently.

4.How can you use a diverse PLN to broaden your views of inclusion?

Inclusion means all the people regardless their gender, ability, regions, disability or other traits could all be treated with fair and respectful attitudes to live in their communities. To broaden my view of inclusion, the most important way is to connect and integrate with the world-wide people. Their perspectives, their sights, their cultures, their languages could all bring me innovations and increase my views of the world. People are always accustomed to rejecting new thing, or different things compare to themselves. This is the nature of human being. However, If I could connect with differences and find their shining points, the results of broaden my views of inclusion must be achieved. Therefore, the way to broaden my views of inclusion is to recognize, to understand, to accept all differences that exist in this world. As my knowledge base and views become wider, the inclusion would be enhanced.

5.In your professional setting of choice, do you think inclusion is actively embraced?

My professional setting of choice is health information science, and I think the inclusion is actively embraced in my professional area. Health Information science is related to global healthcare sectors. As Moore mentioned in her video that inclusion has evolution “exclusion, segregation, integration, inclusion” (The Evolution of Inclusion: The past and future of education 0:37) this four phases. I think the evolution of healthcare also experienced these four phases. Firstly, the healthcare services are separated to provide services to their individual countries. Then, different countries’ healthcare sectors were getting involved together, but the citizens were more likely to rely on their own countries’ healthcare services. As the citizens start to rely on medical technologies of both their own countries and foreign countries, the foreign countries may find their knowledge do not enough to cure foreigners’ sickness. Therefore, as more and more people travel to various countries for treatment, the experiences of various countries in medical technologies have gradually accumulated. Finally, the situation that different countries have different treatments for different people has achieved. I think this situation could be called as inclusion because every person could get fair, equal, respectful and effective treatments in almost every country in the world.

6.What is the learning outcome of your PLN and how are you ensuring your exposure to diversity and inclusion?

As I mentioned above, I think the knowledge is infinite. Therefore, there is not a final learning outcome could be said currently. However, I think a periodical learning outcome of my PLN could be determined. I think my periodical learning outcome is to complete my university study career without penalty or delay under the help of professional medias and social medias. I could acquire the answers of the questions from google search engine. I could find coop work with LinkedIn or Indeed. Also, it is a good idea to contact with classmates and friends to learn and progress together. The ways to ensure my exposure to diversity and inclusion are to check whether could I accept other students’ thoughts and advices, whether could I find different kinds of coop work which all relate to health sectors, or whether could I obtain different perspectives of answers for one question by using search engine.

7.How has your thinking about inclusion and PLN evolved after reviewing the videos and readings?

After reviewing the videos and the reading, I think the evolution of inclusion that is mentioned by Moore is similar to the growth of people. In the childhood, child only believes his/her families and feel afraid when touching a new thing, right now this child is an individual to this world. The youth period has his/her curiosity at its peak, he/she starts to accept and connect with this world, but his/her views and knowledge have limitations, so right now this youth is the beginner of touching the world. As an adults, he/she has stronger abilities to know the world better because he/she accustom more technologies and skills, his/her views would expand rapidly and the inclusion would be enhanced quickly too. When this person reached the old age, he/she has seen most of the world, the inclusion finally reached the peak.

Reference:

Five Moore Minutes. The Evolution of Inclusion: The past and future of education. 2 Oct 2018. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQgXBhPh5Zo&feature=youtu.be.

1. zimengl March 3, 2021

Hi Angel,

Thank you for sharing with your own experience. It is very appropriate to divide PLN into three parts. I believe this is also the structure of pln for many people. PLN can not only satisfy people’s convenience in the professional field, but also enrich people’s daily entertainment, which is enough to see the diversity of PLN.

2. straps April 19, 2022

Usᥙally I don’t lеarn article on blogs, however I wish to say that this write-up veгy pressured mе to taқe a look at and do
    it! Your writing style has been amazed mе.

Thankѕ, quite great article.